This 13-story apartment building was designed by Pickering and Walker in 1912 and closely resembles the larger 829 Park Avenue apartment building that had been erected the year before.
It originally had 12 duplex units and according to a July 4, 1993 article in The New York Times by Christopher Gray each has "a library, living room and dining room across the front, a kitchen and three servants’ rooms in the middle and four master bedrooms in the rear in the upper part of the duplex." "Interior photographs show a 55-foot sweep from the dining room through to the library, and kitchens with dinosaur-sized appliances," the article continued, added, however, that "in 1940 the shareholders gave the building back to the principal lender, the Dry Dock Savings Bank, and the building was emptied."
"Dry Dock," the article continued, "brought in Edgar Ellinger, who had just drastically cut down the large apartments in the bank’s Alwyn Court apartments on 58th Street and Seventh Avenue, and Louis S. Weeks, the bank’s consulting architect. They developed a plan to make 38 two-to four-room apartments in place of the original 23. They introduced push-button elevators, kitchenettes, glass-block partitions and an outside servants’ bathroom on each public hallway....In 1930, 70 percent of the tenants at 823 were in the Social Register....But in 1950, after reconstruction, only 10 percent of 823 Park Avenue’s tenants were in the Social Register.